Saturday 31 December 2011

I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. - Billy Joel

Music oxygen (Mark Catron)


For my last post of 2011 I decided to choose a random performer from Search. It is easy to get stuck in a rut and go and see the people you are familiar with but going random can reveal some hidden gems. Music was performing at Cloud Nine, a beautiful setting I would normally associate more with romantic dancing but this was a great concert to attend alone. I stood in the corner surrounded by a huge crowd and tuned in. There were some couples dancing but most of the crowd were sitting or standing as it really was the type of music to lose yourself in. The crowds made it laggy which is a downside of a popular artist or venue but it does create a buzz. This crowd wasn't too full of gestures either, just applause and compliments  ( Top tip: I turn my gesture sound off so I don't miss what the singer says between songs) 







Music had written all his own songs and he has an extensive list. He sings from the heart with a soft, American accent and plays guitar. My favourite song was Why should we believe which was inspiring. I also liked Sticks and stones which contained the line "made me taste so many tears" and was  about being hurt and being in pain but surviving.






I was going to describe Music  as an acoustic folk type singer but actually he said something between songs which describes his style much better. He said he had just figured out his genre...dark country! I can't say I am a huge country fan being a true Brit but country has a huge following in SL from the US contingent. However Mark's style was not what I think of as country. It was modern and thoughtful and maybe a little melancholic or wistful  rather than dark. I read in his bio at the end of his concert that he has autism and has battled for many years with misdiagnoses. It is easy to see that his music has been very healing and I am glad he is sharing it with SL audiences.


If you fancy some time out to reflect and be introspective then Music is your man.


Happy New Year!! 


You can find out more on:


 http://www.markcatronmusic.com


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Music-Oxygen/235423259840690


 http://www.reverbnation.com/markjensen


 http://www.myspace.com/markjensenmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment